Re: [OM] Olympus - no digital plans for OM series

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus - no digital plans for OM series
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:30:37 -0500
At 09:14 AM 8/30/00 +0000, you wrote:

>>Seriously though, maybe some other list members could shed some light
>>on this issue.
>
>The only thing I can think of is "curved field" vs. "flat field" lenses.
>Maybe what they mean is that digital photography requires flat field lenses?

I believe it may be because their imaging chips have light collecting
elements (non-imaging optics) in front of the semiconductor detectors. To
increase the efficiency of the collection these may restrict the angle of
view of the sensor with the result that it could not see the whole rear exit
pupil of an OM lens. Canon and Nikon may use different chips, or just use
part of the exit pupil (every part contributes to the image, so you just use
lens speed). Anyway this hasn't prevented other makers from making such
bodies, and Canon, because they have the largest exit pupils on some of
their lenses, would have a more difficult time than Olympus. I think, then,
that the statement is true, just a lame excuse.

It seems to me that the time is right for a new digital system camera,
designed from the start as a pure digital system, just as Nikon F, OM-1, and
Maxxum AF were right for their times and left everyone else playing catchup.
Whoever builds that camera would get a huge jump on the market. I'm
surprised Olympus hasn't tried...yet.

Paul