Re: [OM] Olympus - no digital plans for OM series

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus - no digital plans for OM series
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:44:57 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:06, Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Seriously though, maybe some other list members could shed some light
>on this issue.
>peter

>>I just got back from the Seybold Convention and Expo in San
>>Francisco.  At the Oly booth I asked about a digital body for all my
>>Oly OM glass.  The answer was from a rep was, "Not that I know of."
>>"
>>He then went on to give a curious answer as to why not.  "The OM
>>lenses do not work for digital imaging."  He said that lenses
>>focused images by the rays crossing and the CD chip needed all the
>>light beams to be coming in on a straight axis because the pixel
>>receptors were like a cup and the light had to reach the bottom.
>>The present OM lenses land the images at an angle.

OK, if you stay on this list long enough, all the topics will be
discussed again, and again, -- is there nothing new under the sun?

This particular topic (digital camera using OM lenses) was
discussed in April of this year.  There was even a set of
PowerPoint foils from Olympus that show the difference between
a lens designed for film use (the light rays go at an angle)
and a lens designed for digital CCD chip (the light rays go
parallel).  Someone on this list had archived that set of
foils on a web site somewhere, so whoever has it, please speak
up so we can put this topic to rest (again).  Or else someone
do a search of the archives for the presentation.
        -Dan