Bokeh (was Re: [OM] New Digicam)

Subject: Bokeh (was Re: [OM] New Digicam)
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:57:25 +0200
: > I've been just wondering what "bokeh" means.  Warren, is that the
: > Japanese word meaning "out-of-focus blur"!? (I was also looking for
: > the English word for this!)
:
: The term bokeh is used in both Japanese and in English photography
: literatures.  I noticed in many Japanese articles, the term 'bokeh-mi'
: is used quite often to emphasize the subject and blur the back grounds,
: particularly in portraitures.

It is also worth mentioning that we are currently in episode 3 of The
Olympus Photo Exhibition (aka TOPE 3) which has 'Bokeh' as its theme.
Anybody interested in submitting to this online photo exhibition (it is not
a contest, there are no winners and there are no prices - that is unless Tom
will offer his brand new Corvette ;) can try to make either pictures with
overwhelmingly pleasant soft smooth blurred backgrounds with dazzling
out-of-focus highlights, showing off their equipment like The Olympus
Nine-Bladed Auto Focus Extension Tube With Built-In Smoothening Spacemen, or
create pictures with the ugliest of ugliest Boo-boooooooookeeeeeeehh that
you can imagine, using Four-Bladed Olymp-o-Click-O-Mats.

Even more info can be found at http://www.millennics.com/olympus/tope/ where
the results of TOPE 1 (Self Portraits) and TOPE 2 (Night Pictures) can be
seen and where the rules for submission are published.

Here are some online articles that show and explain Bokeh:

http://fox.nstn.ca/~hmmerk/ATVB.pdf
http://www.slonet.org/~dkrehbie/bokeh/bokeh.htm
http://www.pathcom.com/~vhchan/bokeh.html

hnz