Re: [OM] What to do if ASA is set wrong

Subject: Re: [OM] What to do if ASA is set wrong
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 03:55:54 GMT
Yikes, I wasn't slippery enough with my last post. Now you're trying to pin me down. ;>

If what you've shot *so far* on a roll is important, and the photos may have been significantly under- or overexposed (via incorrect ASA setting), I think it would be better to continue shooting at the same ASA setting and have the roll processed appropriately - push or pull - to compensate.

But what's significantly under or over? Depends on the film. Some of us try to find the particular sweet spot for a given film and camera (due to metering differences). So if for a particular film/camera the sweet spot is 320 (my preference for Agfa HDC 400 with my Can-not-an-OM-onet GIII), despite the manufacturer's rating of 400, what's the equivalent of a full-stop overexposure: ASA 200 or 160? I'd say it's 160. And two stops over would be ASA 80. Which means, in a worst case scenario, if you switched from Kodachrome 64 to Fuji Superia 400, but forgot to reset the ASA - those photos might be salvageable, especially if the lighting situation wasn't too contrasty. They'd only be a little more than two stops overexposed (assuming we agree on the 320 ASA setting), which Fuji Superia 400 can tolerate fairly well, especially if the prints are done by a pro lab.

Underexposure is another matter. Few films can tolerate much underexposure without custom film processing. In my experience even Fuji, much as I love its latitude, doesn't handle more than a full stop underexposure well. So if your last roll was 800 and when you switched to 400 you forgot to reset the ASA, a full stop of underexposure is workable without custom processing. *But* if your particular combination of film/camera works best at 320, then you've effectively exceeded a full stop underexposure and will see some disappointing photos. Unless push processing is used.

So the short answer is, if there are no once-in-a-lifetime shots on the roll, you can either:

1. Finish it at the "wrong" ASA and see how it comes out; or

2. Reset it to the "right" ASA and finish the roll so at least the rest will turn out okay.

Otherwise, make a note of the ASA setting at which the first few photos were exposed to help determine how much over or under they were, and have a pro lab compensate.

Lex
===
Advice should not be taken with a grain of salt. That makes no sense. Take it with a dose of salts (i.e., laxative) because the advisor may be full of sh*t and trying to pass some along to you.