Re: [OM] Provia 100F versus Kodachrome

Subject: Re: [OM] Provia 100F versus Kodachrome
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:16:25 -0500
Since I probably started this thread on Provia-F, I'll continue it until
everybody is so sick of the topic that they buy me a couple dozen rolls to
go off and shoot and leave the list alone.

Kodachrome 25 and 64 are mighty fine films.  So much so that they continue
to remain desirable by oodles of people who cannot seem to handle the
differences of the E-6 chromes.  However, they aren't flawless.
Kodachromes do not handle highlights as well and fluffy white clouds on
sunny days tend to burn out rather quickly.  Very little highlight detail.
I believe that the density (thickness) of the emulsion has so much to do
with the character of this film that results in rich, solid blacks that
just make the contrast so much greater in projection.

Provia-F won't project as nicely as kodachrome because of the slightly
milky film backing that improves scanning.  This and also a slightly less
dense black reduces the apparent contrast (in projection) as compared to
Kodachrome.  Does this make it less sharp?  Doubtful.  The greens have been
tamed down quite a bit with Provia-F and the film is less radioactive than
it used to be.  What has made a believer out of me, though, is the shadow
detail.  The shadow detail is as good as what I saw with RSX-50 and doesn't
seem to turn bluish.  Gradients are incredibly smooth with NO APPARENT grain!

Velvia is making a rapid move to the side with my preference now shifting
to Provia-F.  I've been a Fuji fan since I started shooting slide film and
love the richness that the slow-speed Fujis provided.  They seemed to be a
better match to the Zuikos than the Kodak's E-chromes.

Moose Peterson aside, I'll still take film over digital

Ken