Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)

Subject: Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 09:40:52 -0500
At 04:18 PM 8/3/2000 -0400, Dan Lau you wrote:
>Some of you may be wondering why I have such an odd collection
>of lenses that overlap so much.

I never wonder about that. One man's overlap is another man's critical
distinction.  I'm constantly told that I don't need an 85/2 and a 90/2.
Only thems that has knows.

>The fact is that the prime lenses are all faster than the zooms,
>so just in case there is anything in-doors (with low light), a
>faster prime (either the 28/2.8 or 50/1.8) would be better than
>the zoom.  But I am still undecided wether it is worth carrying
>the 50/1.8 with the 35-70/3.5~4.5.

If you can take the 50/1.8 and use it for a critical shot where excellence
is paramount, you won't be sorry.  The slowness of the 35-70 in low light
with the 1-series screen in an OM-1 is a real drag.

>As for film speed, I don't see a general consensus for ISO 100
>vs. ISO 200 vs. ISO 400 (print film) for "general travel
>photography".  I may try a roll or two ISO 400s just to see how
>it goes.

I would choose 100 over 400 to get tighter grain every time, but I'd rather
have sharp 400 photos and take some grain than shaky 100 photos.  Royal
Gold 400 is probably a very good compromise.  I don't know of a 400 slide
film that I really like very well.  I guess Provia 400 is the least
objectionable (to me).

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA