Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)

Subject: Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)
From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:57:07 EDT
In a message dated 8/3/00 12:49:12 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Be careful with ISO 400 outdoors.  It can get you into trouble under "sunny
 f/16" conditions.  It will put you into f/16 @ 1/500th or f/11 @ 1/1000th
 and preclude narrowing the depth of field.  Given the lens speeds you have,
 under general outdoor daytime conditions, the ISO 200 should be fast
 enough.  Again, what is the likelihood of wanting to do something under low
 lighting levels?  That would be the major reason for using an ISO 400.

 -- John >>

Dan:

John makes a very relevant observation. ASA 400 in bright sunlight might be
beyond your camera's range or preclude some shots requiring limited depth
of field. May I suggest a good set of Neutral Density filters (ND 2,4,8) as
part
of your travel kit?  The ND 2 would reduce incoming light by one f-stop, the
ND 4 by two f-stops and the ND 8 by three f-stops. Use of an appropriate ND
filter could put you back in usable range again. One other thought. The
lenses
I suggested (28mm, 35-70mm, 75-150mm) share the same filter size do they
not? That's another consideration. Don't forget your polarizing filter.

Robert