Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)

Subject: Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 12:44:24 +0000
Dan,

Considering lens speeds, there is often a misconception about f/3.5 versus
f/4.  They are only 1/3 stop apart, not the half stop many think it is.
That's right, f/3.5 is only 1/3 stop faster.  For me, f/3.5 versus f/4
wouldn't be a consideration.

I would be sorely tempted to take the 50/1.8 regardless of what other
lenses you might pack along with it.  It is a standard lens and clearly
faster than any other you have; 1-1/3 stop more speed than the f/2.8 28mm.
If you have any thought you might want to shoot some available light
indoors or outdoors in low light, then find room for the 50mm.

Be careful with ISO 400 outdoors.  It can get you into trouble under "sunny
f/16" conditions.  It will put you into f/16 @ 1/500th or f/11 @ 1/1000th
and preclude narrowing the depth of field.  Given the lens speeds you have,
under general outdoor daytime conditions, the ISO 200 should be fast
enough.  Again, what is the likelihood of wanting to do something under low
lighting levels?  That would be the major reason for using an ISO 400.

-- John