Re: [OM] Help on finding just the right bag....

Subject: Re: [OM] Help on finding just the right bag....
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 05:31:23 GMT
I'm not a camera bag junkie - I've used the same bag for 20 years, a Kirtland bicycle handlebar touring bag. Only recently I added a large softsided cooler, not for carrying around, tho', just to keep gear and film from cooking in the car. (Occasionally folks who see it will tell me I'm smart to carry my own lunch instead of eating out. Naturally I disabuse them of this notion and admit that it's actually the head of my last victim.) I'm also using an old brown vinyl and plush velvet bag that was tacky in the '70s, but only because that's what came with my OM-1.

If I *did* buy a new bag, it would be a Domke. I finally got a chance to play with all their major models recently (Wolf on Harry Hines in Dallas carries 'em). The flexibility of their insert system is pretty nifty - some folks buy just the inserts to use in other brands of bags.

I'd pick something larger than I'd usually need, 'cause their bags are squishable when less than full so they'd pack better. I like that sort of luggage philosophy. When I traveled on business extensively I always tucked a Totes bag that folded up into itself into my suitcases for the return trip. It also returned full, even when I didn't buy anything. Go figure.

Lex
===