Other interests (was Re: [OM] Thanks to all...)

Subject: Other interests (was Re: [OM] Thanks to all...)
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 00:22:34 -0500
On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 09:07:24PM -0700, Lex Jenkins wrote:
> Wouldn't surprise me to find that many of us share other hobbies and
> pursuits.  An appreciation for a well-engineered mechanism that simplifies
> work or complex tasks crosses many areas of interest.

Yup...

> Cycling may be the most energy-efficient form of transportation.

I used to enjoy it, until it got to be too much work - you ever ride around
Houston? Talk about taking your life into your hands...

> Other common interests I've discovered among photographers who also enjoy
> their cameras for the engineering aspects of the mechanisms: the shooting
> sports, especially shotgunning;

Check, more or less (for me, it's IPSC practical pistol shooting, something
which I'm quite bad at, but enjoy, and haven't done anywhere near enough of
lately)...

> amateur radio;

Check (de K5ZC)...

> classic car collecting or restoration;

I've managed to avoid that so far, mainly because:

> and, not last or least, these confounded computers.

Check (just look at my TOPE 1 entry - and that's less than half of my
complete collection, though it's the half I use most).