Re: [OM] Lens Test update

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Test update
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:56:33 -0700
Hi Richard:

Thanks for your observations and comments on curvature of field in the
35mm Shift lens. It is very good to know that it clears up at infinity.

<< So for macro, like coping of maps or so, one might use an macro lens.

Well, I'm using a 60" wide map reproduced at 1:40 magnification.  That
is equal to the height of a typical teenager. But a typical teen is not
2 dimensional, as any parent will tell you  :-)

I did a lot of microfilming of geology maps over the years.  These can
be huge. I couldn't use a 50mm macro because the camera had to be too
far from the maps. I was stuck using a 35mm f/2.8 and a 28mm f/2.8  I
longed for a macro in the shorter than 50mm focal length.  To the best
of my knowledge only Novoflex marketed one (a 35mm probably made by
Schneider), but it was only in the M42 thread.

I can think of a copy application for a 35mm Shift: art work behind
glass where you might otherwise end up with the camera reflection in the
lens.

Bottom line for shooting with lenses that might have excessive curvature
of field: forget the center focusing aid and judge focus by examining
the whole frame.  BUT, the camera manufacturer might have adjusted for
that with focus offset on the film plane. Oh well, it is amazing we get
the pictures we do given all the technical limitations of photography.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV