Re: [OM] Lens Test update

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Test update
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 19:46:36 +0200
On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 11:53:34AM -0700, Gary Reese wrote:
> I posted an update on the Olympus OM System Lens Tests site:
>
> 6-20-2000: replaced 16mm Fisheye Zuiko test, added a 35mm Shift Zuiko
> test, added 35-70mm f/3.3~4.5 Nikkor.
>
> Here are some comments about the tests:
>
> The Nikon Nikkor got a Photodo.com rating of 3.3  While I have yet to
> evaluate it at 70mm, it is clearly surpassed by the 35-70mm f/3.5~4.5 S
> Zuiko at 35mm and at 50mm! Viva la Zuiko. Makes me wonder how the
> 35-80mm f/2.8 Zuiko could have only got a 3.6 rating?

Gary,  it is, -sorry to say that- , because of all lens testing sucks!

Sure, but it doesn`t mean that it is not exciting ;-).
Your mail is a good hooker for another observation about the PHOTOGRAPHIE-
Lens Testing during 1980~1983:

In 1980 they started testing with MTF-Curves, and wrote long articles why this
is
the best and only method. They tested all 135mm-Teles on the marked.
Also the 500mirror-lenses,and the 200m-Tele-objectives, with only publishing
the MTF-Curves.
Then when starting with 35-mm Wide angle-lenses they had to add vingetting
amd distortion test for the 28, 24 and 20/21 mm -lens groups.
In May 1981 the Test was extended with centering and test shot`s at 1:50
Magnification
of a even test-board, for better understanding.  In thos manner they tested
the 50-, 85-,
 100mm and the Macro-lenses.

Later when testing zoom lenses they added  real-live shot`s trying to end up
all appeal to the test-Method`s. In this time they also added a comment to the
results
of all lenses.

And then something funny happed when the well known Olympus Zuiko Auto Zoom 1:4
/75-150mm
met the Nikon Series-E 3.5/75-150.  Well the MTF-Curves for the Zuik weren`t
something to be proud of, and it really doesn`t like the flat test-board. The
Nikon however achieved really amazing
results in these two-test`s for a Zoom-lens.
But the writer must admit, that in real-live-shot`s the photos with the
Nikon-lens  can`t fulfil the
 high claim the MTF-results would suppose. The very opposite showed the Zuiko,
which produced significant better  photographs in real-live. Much better than
the previous testresults would make
one expect to.

Nice,.....

Frieder Faig