Re: [OM] Lens Test update

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Test update
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:35:46 +0200

Gary Reese wrote:

> Makes me wonder how the
> 35-80mm f/2.8 Zuiko could have only got a 3.6 rating?

I always wondered how someone could be so bold to describe a lens with
a single number.

> Another possibility is that I was careful to compensate
> for what seemed greater than normal curvature of field in this lens
> design. At the no offset setting, the corners appeared to be focusing at
> a different distance than the center. I chose an intermediate distance
> on the lens focusing scale. Note the word "appeared."

It does not only apear to have curvature of field, it has a lot of it at
close distance!

But so what? At infinty, there is no curvature of field (logical, and
yes I tested it). Buildings are always at infinty with this lens. So
when using it for its intended purpose, no problem arises. Purpose is
photographing, things bigger than oneself, without perspective distorsion.
So for macro, like coping of maps or so, one might use an macro lens.

Regards

Richard