[OM] Please (Was: Zuiko 28mm/f2.0: Shades & Coatings)

Subject: [OM] Please (Was: Zuiko 28mm/f2.0: Shades & Coatings)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 20:19:50 +0000
I seem to be stepping in it.  The SIF reference was to the "dead tree" file
printed by Olympus, not your e-SIF web site.  I know that wasn't terribly
clear.  The e-SIF site is a magnificent collection of data already that I
have used many times, especially in decisions about which lenses to pursue.

Of course, Hans, if you can eventually add the lens cutaways to your site
please do so.  It would be a valuable addition to the lens information.
The "B-side" you describe sounds much like the data sheet shipped with each
lens.

The several cutaways already there look as if Oly used a number of design
concepts.  In the overview the cutaway on the M-1 also shows a lens
(guessing an original 50/1.4 ??).  It is a symmetric lens.  In the two
cutaways of long telephotos describing "lenses that never made it" one
appears symmetric and the other asymmetric.

http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif/concepts.htm
http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif/lensgroup/zuiko_prototypes.htm

If you wish I can hunt down and send you cutaways and descriptions of
"classic" designs such as the Zeiss' Tessar and Planar, and Cooke's
Triplet.  They have been heavily copied by many lens manufacturers.
Comparisons of modern primes with them can be revealing.

-- John