Re: [OM] Night shooting on Auto - OM-4T

Subject: Re: [OM] Night shooting on Auto - OM-4T
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 20:44:05 +0000
I've done night fireworks in manual mode using the recommendations in
Kodak's Master Photoguide "Existing Light" section (new title is Kodak
Pocket Photoguide).  The recommendations for lightning at night are
identical except one stop wider aperture (more exposure).  Following is a
summary for lightning by film speed.  Since we are getting close to July
4th, after that is a summary for fireworks, for the benefit of U.S. list
members.  The higher film speeds will only work with telephotos that can
stop down far enough (see the tables).  I've had very good exposures with
the fireworks using medium speed ISO 100 film, camera on tripod, and a
cable release (used my finger on the OM-4 release once).

Lightning at night
(shutter open on "B" for several streaks):
    ISO Aperture
-----------------------
  64 -  100       f/5.6
 125 -  200       f/8
 320 -  400       f/11
 800 - 1000       f/16
1250 - 1600       f/22 (if you can stop down that far)

Fireworks at night
(shutter open on "B" for several bursts):
    ISO Aperture
  64 -  100       f/8
 125 -  200       f/11
 320 -  400       f/16
 800 - 1000       f/22 (if you can stop down that far)
1250 - 1600       f/32 (if you can stop down that far)

Hope this helps.

-- John