Re: [OM] beginner needs advice

Subject: Re: [OM] beginner needs advice
From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:30:24 EDT
In a message dated 6/12/2000 7:38:43 PM, johncw@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< William Duprey wrote:

Hello all-

> I've recently acquired (read: taken from wife's closet) an OM-PC along with

>2 lenses...a standard (I assume standard as I'm not educated enough on

>camera's yet to decipher) and a zoom lens which my wife says is 70mm-210mm,
>and a flash.  I won't bore the "professionals" with any technical
questions...but

> am wondering if there is one good instructional book, a kind of industry

> standard?  Been to borders, b&n, amazon...not interested in lots of PICS,

> rather a book with lots of information regarding theory, light. Film. and

> instruction. >>

Sounds good, William, but there's no better way to learn to take good
pictures --
after you have learned the fundamentals -- than looking at lots of *GOOD*
PICS.
That will help you to develop an *eye* for photography. Anyone can point a
camera and snap a shutter. A design engineer, a physicist, or a chemist might
know the mechanics of constructing a camera, capturing images on film and
developing them and still not know what to shoot or why. Theory isn't enough.
A good photographer must learn to see the picture before the photo is
snapped. Looking at other PICS helps one to gain a new and/or fresh
perspective.

Regards,
Robert