Re: [OM] beginner needs advice

Subject: Re: [OM] beginner needs advice
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:28:15 +0000
At 10:39 6/12/00 , William Duprey wrote:
>am wondering if there is one good instructional book, a kind of industry
>standard?  Been to borders, b&n, amazon...not interested in lots of PICS,
>rather a book with lots of information regarding theory, light. Film. and
>instruction.

One of the best basic beginner's books on general photography I've seen
recently:
"How to Take Great Photographs With Any Camera"
by Jerry Hughes, Phillip Lane Publishing, Dallas, Texas, 1992-1999
ISBN:  0-9634348-9-6

There are many photographs in it, but all of them are there along with
excellent diagrams to demonstrate the principles discussed.  It is not a
book on the "science," but has good rudimentary discussion about light,
lenses, depth of field, and exposure so beginners can make use of it in the
"art" to get the results they want.  It does not cover studio lighting or
darkroom work.  Almost pocket size so you can stuff it easily in a camera
bag, there's no reason to leave it on a shelf at home.  Jerry Hughes has a
web site from which you can order the book:
  http://www.takegreatphotos.com/
or you can ask for the ISBN at a bookstore.  My other half got hers from a
"Creative Memories" dealer.  When she showed it to me I was impressed with it.

I'm still looking for a good comprehensive book on the "science" and will
be looking for some of the other titles posted.

-- John