Re: [OM] beginner needs advice

Subject: Re: [OM] beginner needs advice
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:32:00 -0700
John P. writes:

<< Your mention of Feininger reminded me of something he wrote that made
a huge impression on me at the time (years ago).  In "The Complete
Photographer," he says that the only true subject of a photograph is
light.  It isn't a
person, barn, canyon, etc., but the way that light defines the canyon,
etc.  That concept taught me to see "photographically" when I was a
beginner at B&W photography, and it's one of a fairly small number of
precepts that I
still pay attention to. >>

I didn't see the light until I was maybe 30, 15 years after starting to
photograph. It may have been using that book when teaching photography
that it finally dawned on me how important light is. Ironically it was
shooting in fog that taught me to use light creatively.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV