Re: [OM] Depth of field questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Depth of field questions
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 17:41:42 +0200
On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 05:38:25PM -0700, Gary Reese wrote:
> don't have data).
>

> As an aside, I finally shot some hand held pictures of my test map.
> Surprise, the difference between tripod mounted shots using mirror and
> disphragm prefire versus hand held shots using a 50mm f/1.4 at 1/60th
> and 1/500th were TOO CLOSE to call! That says, 1) my hand holding
> ability is pretty stable and 2) not using mirror and diaphragm prefire
> when shooting an OM on a tripod PROBABLY will lead to worse results than
> if you had just hand held the camera in the 1/60th and faster shutter
> speed range.

Interessting, Gary,
But which 1.4/50 did you use for your hand held shots?
The one with the 'A-' (MC) or the one with the 'C' (SC) results ? :)

Concerning your test`s I found the differences between the shooting-modes
more interessting then the differences between the  lenses. this is  very
obvios at the test of the
4/200 which performed between very good and rather soft, depending on how
the mirror was locked up or not....
That lead me to the assumption, that your A and B rating`s are very hard, and I
guessed that they would not be achieveable with hand-held shooting at all.
-But what now? - Could you test the 4/200-MC in hand-held mode?

About the using of tripods I read an interessting article in the German Magazine
"DIAmagazin #4/99" where they testet the influence of mirror look-up with the
Sigma SA5 and the 4.0/300 mm in macro usage (1:3). He used a radio trigger.
For the first test he used a mini-table tripod placed in flower beds. A very
unsteadily
combination with the Tele. And surprise: All shoot`s are the same sharp!

For a second test, he used a very sturdy Gitzo-Tripod without leg pullout. And
what happend:
The difference with and without mirror lookup was significant.

What`s wrong ? - Nothing, because when the camera is lose fixed, the shock ot
the mirror start is compensated with the shock of the mirror stop, while the
camera moves a minimal amount down
as reactio to the mirror moving up. So when the film is exposed the camera is
in rest.

With a very sturdy tripod, the camera can`t compensate the shock of the mirror
acceleration with
a minimal movement. So there is a reaction between the camera and the tripod,
which leads
to vibrations, which hold on, when the film is exposed.

Astonishing?

Frieder Faig.