Re: [OM] Depth of field questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Depth of field questions
From: "C.H.Ling" <pling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 07:34:26 +0800
Well! I expected my post will lead to a lots of feedback on the 90/2. Have a
look at Modern photography's test report, its resolution at 1:4 and 1:2 is
between 40 lp/mm to 45 lp/mm from F2 to F22 (center). I think they use
equipment for the test, not actually use a OM bodies and took the shots,
that eliminates the possibility of camera vibration.

For the 50/3.5 at 1:4 the resolution is 70lp/mm at F3.5 to F16 (center),
even the edges outperform the 90/2's center! My experience shown it is
very... very sharp lens (even a very old and rear element coating scratched
one), so I tried very hard and just found a beautiful sample as back up.

For the 80/4, being a short range 1:2 to 2:1 macro and dedicated for slide
copy, I don't think its resolution will be less than 70lp/mm (although I
have no figure on hand). Based on my experience it is a very sharp lens.
Although it isn't as versatile as the 90/2 but 1:2 and 2:1 are the most used
range for small flowers and insect.

What I mean "serious" here is if you are planned to go out to shoot macro
(not occasional macro during a photo trip), why not bring one that provide
you the best result?

Okay, finally I would like to say something good about the 90/2, generally
it provide very good color (better than 100/2), no harsh feel (I found the
50/2 and 28/2 sometimes looks a bit harsh), good 3-D feel and quite sharp
for close up (from around 1:10 ?). When stopped down to F5.6 its resolution
is comparable to 100/2 (my test result shown the resolution of 100/2 wins at
wider aperture for distance objects). Since I understand the shortcoming of
90/2 and know how to use its best, I will never sold it again (I once sold
it to a friend and it came back last year).

C.H.Ling