Re: [OM] (Fwd) Question about manual Olympus Options

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) Question about manual Olympus Options
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:20:03 EDT
In a message dated 05/08/2000 2:09:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> The bottom line is
>  why would one ever buy a OM-3 or an OM-4Ti when one has a good working
>  OM-1???  Thanks!!  ( What I am trying to say here, is can anyone give me a
>  good sales pitch as to why I should buy another Olympus camera? )

Oh boy, here we go!

The biggest advantage of an OM-3 or OM-4, or one of their variants, is the
multi-spot metering. If you plan on sticking with your Luna-Pro, there really
is no advantage to an OM-3 or OM-4. The OM-4, used in auto mode, is somewhat
easier to use when things are moving fast and the light is changing.

Another advantage to the OM-4 (and the OM-3Ti, but not the OM-3) is TTL
flash. If you dont do a lot of flash work, this may be a non-issue. I hardly
ever use my OM-1s for flash work anymore, now that I have an OM-2S and an
OM-4.

A few minor advantages of the OM-3 and OM-4 inlcude the ability to use 2-x
series screens without modification oand without affecting the meter (but if
you dont use the meter in your OM-1, this may be a non-issue). The OM-3/4
provide power rewind with the MD-2, as well as automatic advance to frame 1.
Finally the OM-3Ti and OM-4Ti are still produced and therefore still
supported by Olympus for parts and service.

Of course this has nothing to do with why you should want to buy another OM.
I have an OM-1, OM-1n, OM-2n, OM-2S and an OM-4 - there is basically nothing
I couldn't do without one of the OM-1s and either the OM-2S or the OM-4. I
still want an OM-4Ti.. and probably an OM-PC too, eventually. Oh yeah, an
OM-3 or OM-3Ti would be REALLY nice. Then there's the OM2000 - that multi
exposure lever could be pretty useful sometimes, as well as the 1/125 flash
synch...

Now don't even get me started on the Zuikos...

Paul Schings

Hope this helps!

Paul Schings