Re: [OM] (Fwd) Question about manual Olympus Options

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) Question about manual Olympus Options
From: Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 16:58:07 -0400

To:       olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:
From:     Steven Read/CAM/Lotus @ NOTES@ALPHABETA
Date:     05/08/2000 04:58:07 PM

Jim - first off, let's bump you up to an OM-1n (which has slightly better
insides and truly works with the T-series flashes), then to a 2n which REALLY
works with the T-series flashes.  Both are quite fixable, quite rugged and darn
nice (why else would I have so many of them?)  Then from the 1n/2n to the
3Ti/4Ti while there are other niceties, it comes down to price, available new,
metering and Super FP.  The spot metering system in the OM-3Ti/4Ti is brilliant.
I'm hard pressed to describe it  but in a 4Ti set to auto you can use the 8
sample spot meter to adjust for most lighting conditions (for me this is usually
backlighting) by touching the spot button a few times to meter and average
several spots.  For me, it just works naturally.  Or to get a good picture of my
black dog just point the camera at him, hit the spot button, touch the shadow
button and fire - and the resulting image will have the proper tones to show you
his fur - no more dog shaped silhouettes when you were trying to make a
portrait.  Similar button for white things.  It just works brilliantly.  3Ti has
the same metering, but you've got to adjust the speed yourself.  3Ti is the
exact same weight as the 1n, just as manual ;-) but better (except for price if
you can live with trading in match-needle metering for LCD), even tougher to
break, has a 1/2000th shutter.  And  both 3Ti/4Ti can make use of the F280 flash
for high synch speed fill flash.

That said, if you're not using the internal metering I'd just buy a spare 1n,
get them both professionally CLA'd and keep on going.  Great cameras aren't
they.  Why change what isn't broken?  Besides B&H reports that OM-4Ti bodies are
out of stock.  Then again, you've been using the 1MD for 23 years, you're
getting older - your eyes might like using the brighter 2-4 & 2-13 view screens
which work with the 3Ti/4Ti without modification (you can fit them into the
older bodies if you're willing adjust the metering/trim the screen tabs).

* * * Previous Memo History * * *