RE: [OM] OM-4T vs. OM-4 as backup body

Subject: RE: [OM] OM-4T vs. OM-4 as backup body
From: "Windrim, Brian" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 11:50:47 +0100
Cc: "'rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'pgolik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pgolik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Pawel Golik wrote:

>> > On this topic, Is there any way (short of disassembly) to determine
>> > whether an OM4 has the new low battery drain circuit board.  Battery
>> > drain tells you if you have the problem, having the new circuit board
>> > tells you if you are susceptible to the problem in the future.
>>
>> Hi all - a new poster here!
>>     AFAIK the 'new' OM-4s were modified to contain the 4T circuit.
Another
>> thing they change is that if you put the lever to battery check position
the
>> light and beep will stop after 30 seconds. So, if your batt. check shuts
>> down automatically after 30s you have a 'new' OM-4 without the excessive
>> drain (still, despite new circuitry, no full-sync to F280).
>>     Anyone can confirm this? Am I right? I have an OM-4 I bought used
from
>> Brad's Collectibles (http://www.usedphoto.com) in good condition
(everything
>> works,but some brassing on body, which doesn't bother me at all) for
$260. I
>> was ver glad to see it's batt. test auto shut down in 30s (and I have
used
>> it for more than a month without having to change batteries, so I guess
it
>> doesn't drain excessively).

I'm not sure about later OM4's having the Ti circuit, but my OM4 (bought new
in
1987, after the 4Ti came out) had it's circuit replaced under warranty with
the
Ti board. The repair note describes the improvements to the circuit,
including
the 30-second cutoff on the battery test, but doesn't mention battery drain.

>From secondhand listings, OM4's with Ti circuits are not uncommon, but they
*may*
all have come from this kind of repair.

-Brian