Re: [OM] Colour films

Subject: Re: [OM] Colour films
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 03:58:15 -0500
>> SUBJECTIVE FILM REVIEWS:
>>  Velvia - Very contrasty, with completely unrealistic
>>  colours...

Here we go again with the Velvia bashing.  I'm going to start calling it
Rodney Dangerfield Film.  For those of you wishing for blah colors, stay
away from this film.  I shoot it like B&W in that I try to achieve deep
blacks and sparkling highlight in the shot.  In bright sunlight (sunny-16
settings) the film does have a tendency to saturate, but on overcast days
it really brightens up the colors.  I really prefer it for macro work as it
has a unique characteristic that makes our beloved bokeh all the better.
Flowers become three-dimensional.  Fuji 50 (the origional RD) and Fuji
Velvia are the ONLY films I've come across that seem to turn my backgrounds
buttery smooth when all else is equal.  It really matches the image I get
on my 1-4 screen vs the image you get on a 2-series screen.  Give me my
OM-2s, 100/2.8, extension tubes and Velvia anyday for field work.

The one thing to remember with this film is that the shadows go dark fast,
but the highlights hold longer.  This doesn't mean that you overexpose the
film, but that you use fill lighting when necessary to bring your shadows
up.  Nothing like a reflector card to improve your picture anyway.  Maybe
it isn't the film that is off, but maybe your technique--Velvia requires
more exacting technique than most film.

Of course, K25 and K64 rock.  Just watch the highlights.  Clouds will wash
out easier than Velvia's shadows block up.

Ken (Velvia-grouch) Norton