Re: [OM] Colour films

Subject: Re: [OM] Colour films
From: "Windrim, Brian" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 15:45:59 +0100
Cc: "'glenngarza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <glenngarza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Glenn Garza wrote:

>> I have been shooting Fuji Provia 100F, but am not satisfied with its
>> rendition of the colors present in scenes. I have tried all the current
Fuji
>> films and cannot get over the lack of a normal or natural color palette.
>> understand that most photographers like this. My previous favorite was
>> Ektachrome Elite II 50, but that has been discontinued. Currently, I have
>> few rolls each of Ektachrome 64, 100, E100s and E100sw. Does anyone have
any
>> other recommendations? I have used the Agfa RSX IIs and Kodachromes.
Thanks.

I agree with Glenn about Ektachrome 50, it was lovely and is much missed. It
was
the axing of that (and Ektar 25) that started my disenchantment with Kodak
and
pushed me over towards Velvia (which I also like, but for different
reasons).

I have no experience of the Kodak 'pro' Ektachromes, but I've used a lot of
consumer
Elite 100 (EB) and found it to be a great all-round film, apart from the
grain.
Elitechrome Extra Color (EBX) is fun, but grainier still and *far* from
natural.

Astia/Sensia II is impressively sharp but just doesn't excite me (yet). I've
just
started using Provia F but have no results yet. I have high hopes, though.

I think some people are more sensitive to the "naturalness" of colours than
others,
a bit like perfect pitch in music. I fall towards the "tone deaf" end of the
colour
scale, hence (perhaps) my interest in sharpness, grain and saturation. Also
since I
process my own E6 (in the sink) I can't *prove* that any differences in
colour
balance aren't my fault.

Has anyone (other than me) heard the rumour about a "Provia F 400", to be
out this year,
with the grain of "old" Provia (RDP II) but two stops faster? Maybe I dreamt
it :-)

For what it's worth, the RMS granularity figures for some
of the current E6 films are (IIRC):

8: Provia F
9: Velvia, K25
10: Provia, Astia, Sensia II, EB, E100S, E100SW, K64
11: EBX, E100VS

-Brian

PS. Thanks to Simon E. for posting the original data.