Re: [OM] OM photo contest

Subject: Re: [OM] OM photo contest
From: Acer V <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 20:02:05 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Wayne Shumaker wrote:

>After communicating with a number of people, I have been advised that
>offering a single nice prise has the potential for a lot of sour
>grapes, especially if the criteria for judging the winning photo is not
>very clear. Also for independent judges to do their job, they need very
>clear criteria as well. Having stuck my neck out, I have not been able
>to clarify the matter in my own mind. My original inspiration was the
>statement by HCB: "To take photographs is putting one's head, one's
>eye, and one's heart on the same axis." Probably the only way to judge
>something like that is to view a person's whole body of work over a
>long period of time. So the parameters need to be more concrete. Any
>suggestions?

Over a period of time means more work for the judges, and without certain
further constraints, might not be too feasible to pull off.

>Another point that was made was that a single prise and no consolation
>prises can also lead to sour grapes. So perhaps if the same dollar
>amount of donation is used, several prises can be awarded, like 100/2,
>100/2.8, etc. or even some nice used lenses.

I'm in the favor of used lenses, and there are plenty of top notch Zuikos
in very nice cosmetic condition (personally, I don't really mind about
condition, since all my gear is "user", but do take care of them). Going
the used way, you don't have to pay the premium of the shrink-wrap and
box. Much more bang-for-the-buck IMHO.

>So, I'm open to suggestions on how to proceed, or even if there is much
>interest. Here are some suggestions I currently have:
>
>1) Take the sum total of each persons TOPE and ADITL photos over a
>    specified period as the submission and the winner is the one deemed
>    consistently the best.

I'm not too comfortable with this idea. I do ADITL/TOPE for fun, nothing
serious or predetermined, it's all casual. This is also probably true for
the other entries, friendly exchange over coffee, say.

>2) Offer multiple smaller prises rather than one big prise.

Yes, definitely.

>3) Define the subject matter to a limited set, such as portrait,
>    landscape, photojournalism, etc. with clear criteria.

Depending on the person, it might help or hinder his/her ideas for
shooting.

>4) Pick a topic that has potential to affect people's view of the world
>    and help avoid destroying it.

You mean tree-hugging? <g>

>Given the low response to the initial offering, maybe there is not that
>much interest? So, I would like to open up to the list that I would be
>willing to sponsor either my original proposal or a modified one of
>similar monetary value. What is it about photography that captures your
>interest and imagination?

/Acer V
--
If you can kick it, it's hardware.