Portrait Lighting was-Re: [OM] Disappointment...

Subject: Portrait Lighting was-Re: [OM] Disappointment...
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 12:04:55 -0700
I never use reflective readings in this manner.
The inexpensive meters I mentioned earlier only do incident readings.
Very accurate though.
Your lighting setup is very new school.  It works great but there is no
modeling.
Many fashion covers are done this way.
I would suggest to a newcomer to try this and many other setups for
different effects.

Charlie L.

======Ron,

Thanks for the compliment.  My favorite system is called a "fashion" set
up.  It consists of three umbrellas very close to the camera.  One
umbrella above the camera and one on each side. I know very little about
ratios.  Basically what I try to achieve a even balanced light on both
sides of the model and on both the right and left side of the face.
There is always some slight movement of the umbrellas necessary .  When
using print film I just take the meter reading off the skin and both
sides of the background.  Sometimes when using slide film I will use a
gray card.  I'm usually looking to see the exposure on the face at say
... f8.  The background at the same level as the face can be a half stop
slower. But this reading should be symmetrical. Also the background
color is also important.  Black is always the easiest color to work
with.  White can be difficult .  Always keep the model at least 2 feet
in front of the background.  If the model has lots of hair close to the
face try to get a reading on the shadow area of the hair to be no more
than a third stop off the skin.  Slight movements of the umbrellas will
accomplish this.  Once you start getting symmetrical readings you are
going to get a pretty even lit face.  Focus on the cornea of the eye and
that's it. If you see a photo you really like ... look into the model
eyes to see what kind of set up was used.  Look at the angles.  A single
square highlight will usually mean a single large soft box at 45 degree
angle in front ot the model.  Most studios just use this set up 'cause
it works very easily.  If you use a single light set up still try to get
readings as symmetrical as possible.

Hope that helps a little.

Phillip Franklin=====