[OM] Disappointment...

Subject: [OM] Disappointment...
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 00:18:31 -0700
Tom,

I only caught some of your studio set up.  But the diffuser panels that
you made are probably not the right material, and you could keep trying
forever.  It really makes more sense to just purchase a quality diffuser
panel if that is want you want.  But I still can't understand why you
want to use diffuser panels with the tiny T32s.  Normally diffuser
panels are used spread light that is going to be bounced in all
directions within a foam core "room".  These are usually done with some
very high powered lighting equipment.  If you are just getting started
into studio lighting my recommendation is start with some simple white
umbrella set-ups.  The T32 has enough power and light spread for an
average sized umbrella.  If you like a softer light than umbrellas than
just buy a soft box.  There are many very inexpensive ones that work ok
(Photoflex ... not the best .. but very inexpensive). But for portrait
work I would stay with umbrellas.  You can go fancy by using multiple
setups with reflectors.  There is a book that I would recommend titled
"The Photographer's Guide to Using LIGHT" by Ted Schwarz and Brian
Stoppee published by Amphoto, New York.  It is a classic even though
it's a little dated (1986).  Good luck on your home studio.

Phillip Franklin