Re: Re: [OM] tripods!

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] tripods!
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:41:04 EST
>Dirk wrote:
>
><<I'm just sick and frustrated with my cheap tiltall.  It's just not
up to
>even Bogen standards. We deserve a good tripod!>>
>
>Is this a new tripod?  I have one of the original ones built by the
Marchioni
>Bros. back in the 50's or 60's and it's a fantastic tripod.  I have
done a
>lot of modifications on mine, but the basic unit is super solid.  I
wonder if
>they have cheapened and changed the materials and/or design over the
years?

>-Tim Clark

I bought this one about 12 years ago, "made in USA", for about 100$.
The main thing that bothers me about it is that it is very hard to
secure a camera to it. What I mean is that the screw for fastening the
camera is very difficult to get tight. You'll think it's tight, then
bump the camera and it will move relative to the mounting plate. I
would much rather have a "system" tripod, where I can mix and match
heads and legs. The head on the tiltall is not removable, at least not
easily. Also, I've never had the tightening problem on Bogen heads. The
best way to do it, as is done on some Bogen heads, is where you first
screw the captive stud into the camera, then you turn a larger wheel to
pull the camera tight to the head.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright