Re: [OM] Tokina 400

Subject: Re: [OM] Tokina 400
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 15:59:50 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Tom Scales wrote:

|Well, I may have answered my own question.  According to the cult lens page,
|the Tokina pro models seem to be decent lenses.  The 400 f/5.6 is the ATX
|pro model with the APO glass.  Supposedly, for the 400, and I quote:

|"Tokina adds an SD for super-low dispersion (meaning APO glass). If they
|really want to impress us, they use HLD which stands for high-refractive,
|low dispersion glasses. Can you tell that these guys are a bunch of
|engineers and not marketing types?"
|
|In a different package, I picked up a Tokina 35-70 f/2.8 and a Tokina 70-210
|f/3.5 The 70-210 looks to be the consumer line, but the 35-70 is the pro
|line.  I haven't seen any of these yet, but maybe the 35-70 will 'slake my
|thirst' for the 35-80 for a little while.
|
|Since I didn't know much about them, I didn't pay much.  I don't think the
|sellers really did either, which I guess worked to my advantage.  I feel a
|little, but not a lot, guilty.
|
|I would be interested in comments from anyone that has actually seen/used
|any of the three.

I don't know about those particular lenses, but the original Vivitar
Series 1 70-210/3.5 (62mm filter size) was made by Tokina for Vivitar.
It's a professional sharp zoom with 14 elements in 10 groups which
focuses down to 47 inches 119.38 cm---about 1:4 magnification).  It
uses internal focusing (not unusual for zooms) and weighs 24 ounces
(680.4 g).  The 62mm filter size is very convenient for adding Nikon's
excellent 5T & 6T acromats for macro work.

I own one of these babies and if I ever lay my hands on a 35-80/2.8,
the VS1 70-210/3.5 will be the only non-zuiko OM lens I own.  For now
I am "getting by" with the great VS1 35-85/2.8 varifocal zoom, which
sports a 72mm filter size (its only negative with respect for 5T/6T
usage). ;-)