Re: [OM] Lens Advice Please (90mm or 100mm reasonably priced)

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Advice Please (90mm or 100mm reasonably priced)
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 14:05:31 GMT
Phillip Franklin wrote:

>I've been thinking about aquiring a brand new or a 9 or better Zuiko
100mm/f2.8, a  Tamron
>90/2.8, a Tamron 90/2.5, a 100mm/2.5 Vivitar Series 1 (if still available)
or 90mm Tokina
>2.5 macro (also if availble).

Phillip,

I would suggest choosing between the Tamron models (if you specifically want
to do close-up work as well) and the Zuiko 100 f2.8. I have the latter, and
think it's a great little lens. Having not tasted the claimed superior
performance and bokeh of the f2 models, I can't comment on these. However, I
am very happy with my f2.8 model.
Tentative OT comparison: I own a nice Rega turntable. Linns etc are reputed
to be noticeably better, but "shock horror!" I am perfectly happy with the
sound of what I have. Some people on this list couldn't sleep at night if
they didn't have the dog's b*llocks of Zuiko glass/hifi/binoculars etc ;-)

Handling was my prime reason for choosing the Zuiko - the OM has the DoF
markings in the same place as all the others, ditto the aperture ring. Also,
there are no questions of mount integrity when used with OM3/4 models which
have surfaced with some Tamron mounts. But that wouldn't prevent me from
buying one, it's still a brilliant lens, by all accounts.

>On the high end
>new side I would consider a new Zuiko 100/2.8 ($299.00) or the new Tamron
>90/2.8 ($359.00).
>That's the absolute max I would consider spending.

Some posts seem to have ignored this last point, even though "reasonably
priced" was also mentioned in the subject. This puts the more pricey f2
Zuikos out of the running, I'd say.

Simon E.