Re: [OM] Lens Advice Please (90mm or 100mm reasonably priced)

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Advice Please (90mm or 100mm reasonably priced)
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 17:48:31 -0800
At 08:43 AM 15-03-00  Wednesday  -0500, you wrote:
In a message dated 2000-03-15 2:25:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
pfranklin@xxxxxxxx writes:

<< I've been thinking about aquiring a brand new or a 9 or better Zuiko
100mm/f2.8, a  Tamron
 90/2.8, a Tamron 90/2.5, a 100mm/2.5 Vivitar Series 1 (if still available)
or 90mm Tokina
 2.5 macro (also if availble).  I've looked at Gary's tests and am still not
sure what would
 be the most bang for the buck.  It's primary purpose will be for outdoor
portraits.  However
 I may be using it in the studio also.  Does anyone have any advice?  I know
this focal
 length has been discussed to some degree but even though I read those posts
I still have no
 clue as what others think on this field of comparison.  I was offered a
supposedly 9  Tamron
 90/2.5 for $150.00.  I would still need to get a adapter for the OM mount.
On the high end
 new side I would consider a new Zuiko 100/2.8 ($299.00) or the new Tamron
90/2.8 ($359.00).
 That's the absolute max I would consider spending. So any comments will be
appreciated.

 Thanks,
 Phillip Franklin >>

Hi Phil,

    Sorry to say this, but consider spending just a little more and getting
the Zuiko 100F2.0. Not only is this lens a superb fast tele, but it goes to
1:5 as well, has utterly outstanding bokeh (9 diaphragm blades and extremely
high correction for astigmatism). I cannot think of another portrait lens
made by anyone, in any system, at any cost. I would rather have. The price
(even new) is extremely reasonable for what it does.

Alex

B+H posts the 100/2.8 [weighs 8.3 oz] at US$319.95 and the 100/2 [17.6 oz] at US$599.95.

That extra f stop comes at a substantially increased price and increase in weight.

jh