Re: [OM] experience with Sigma APO 400/5.6 & 70-210/2.8?

Subject: Re: [OM] experience with Sigma APO 400/5.6 & 70-210/2.8?
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 01:06:40 +0000
I recently went on a long walk with only a 300/4.5.  I was not out for
serious photography but was carrying the camera lens combo for use as a
spotting scope.

I ended up taking a few shots on the walk and was very surprised when I
got the results back.  I managed two pleasing landscape style shots, one
using a fence post for support and the other hand held.  I got two hand
held shots of water themes, one a sort of impressionist painting image of
reflections in water in the style of Tomoko Yamamoto and another quite
subtle one contrasting  the gentle arching of reeds with the linear
pattern of wavelets on the water.

I also wanted to record a recent change to the landscape and since I only
had the 300 I had a go at a panorama from three images, again hand held,
and was greatly surprised that apart from a little vertical variation in
registration between images I somehow pulled it off.  two of the shots
were sharp and one slightly less so but still quite acceptable.

I really surprised myself as I had pretty much convinced myself that I
shouldn't bother with the 300 unless a tripod was available.  Most of
the shots really surprised me in how sharp they were.

In one walk I seemed to have managed three  uses I would not
previously have really thought the forte for a  300mm focal length.

I was using 200 speed negative film.

Giles