Sv: [OM] experience with Sigma APO 400/5.6 & 70-210/2.8?

Subject: Sv: [OM] experience with Sigma APO 400/5.6 & 70-210/2.8?
From: "LARS BUNDESEN" <lars.bundesen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 15:26:08 +0100
As far as I know, Sigma is now one of the world's biggest lens makers and
many of their designs get very good gradings in test. Generally, I think
they deliver very good value for money.

In Color Foto's test list, the Sigma AF APO 400/5.6 got 87.7 points and the
result "outstanding". In comparison Canon's EF 400/5.6 L USM (more than
twice as expensive) got 87,1 points and the Olympus 350/2.8 got 90,1
points, both also "outstanding".
The best lens tested in this test was a Leica Apo-Telyt-R 400/2.8 which got
95,7 points and a "over-outstanding" result. These test results are from a
test in 1994. I don't know if the construction of the manual focus model of
this Sigma lens is the same and thus comparable.

The Sigma AF 70-210/2.8 APO got 70,3 points and the result "satisfying" in
a test in 1993, slightly more than Tamron's similar lens. Slower lenses got
more points, for instance Olympus'  70-210/3.5-4.5 AF got 78,8 points and
the result "good".
Again, the AF Sigma might be of a different design than the non-AF model.

Unfortunately, Color Foto only lists a few of their test results with
non-AF lenses.

I hope this can be of some help.

Lars