Re: [OM] OM to Digital

Subject: Re: [OM] OM to Digital
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 17:13:19 -0600
All very good points.  I agree that a good 3 chip system would be preferred,
but I believe even the Nikon D1 is a single CCD. I know the new 3mp cameras
are larger, but still single, CCD.  I have to say, my Kodak DC265 takes
pictures of surprising quality, given its 'prosumer' bent and price (I paid
under $400 for it new).  My think was more experimentation.  Take something
like a Kodak DC215, 1200x800ish and see what we could do.  Maybe a 'working
model' would influence Olympus.  Probably not, but still an interesting
project.  Might just have to buy one on ebay and take it apart.

I know I'd need all the electronics, storage and power.  The power would be
the challenge, as it would need 4AA batteries.  A 'hollowed out' winder
seems like it work (just happen to have a broken Winder 1). I have several
CF cards, up to 64mb, which would hold almost 200 pics in the highest
resolution of the camera I'm thinking of 'sacrificing'.  The IBM Microdrive
would hold almost 1000 shots.  I don't know about you, but I'd be willing to
download to my laptop long before I reached 1000 shots.

 Ok, this is all fantasy, given my lack of skills, but could be interesting.
One thing I need to do is measure the lens to CCD distance.  If the distance
is way off, it's never going to work.  That said, it seems like the
thickness of my 265 is about right.

We can dream, can't we?

Tom

> I think many people don't understand some of the technical considerations
for a quality
> digital back.  Number one is the quality of the ccd array system used.
Any near