Re: [OM] Om to Digital

Subject: Re: [OM] Om to Digital
From: "Samuel Morales" <dolphans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 11:04:06 -0600
I guess your right, you could do that.  I know the Canon body was like
$10,000 a couple of years ago. (digital body)  I heard Nikon produced
a$5,000 digital body and Canon matched the price. (this is what I heard and
could be furthest from the truth.)

Digital is not what it's all cracked out to be with the exception of what
you might be able to put up on the internet,  that might not otherwise be
possible.  Great for media, because the second you have an image you can
boom it up to satellite or phone jack and have an instant picture available.

Digital images do not last long as film unless you burn them on a CD burner.

I believe the cards that store the images have a limited life span and there
not cheap either.

However there is a market and Olympus has jumped into it.  From what I have
heard, not one camera manufacturer is making a profit on digital cameras.
By the time a new model is released it is outdated and a better model is
produced.  They then discount the remaining stock by slashing their prices,
to reinvest into a more pixel rate camera.

>From my understanding it is Kodak that produces the  digital backs for the
Canon's and the Nikon camera bodies.  Perhaps it would be best to write to
Kodak and see if it were possible.

Just about all TV News Camera Techs. use digicams and no longer use the
betacams.  A silent reminder on how old we are getting...

Sam.....