Re: [OM] Repair Service woes - please advise

Subject: Re: [OM] Repair Service woes - please advise
From: Marko Vrabec <marko.vrabec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 21:23:28 +0100
Many thanks to all of you for your responses and encouragement. I have
got legal advice from the consumer's organization; our law says that
when your item is damaged during the repair, the responsible firm has to
either a) repair the damage, b) exchange the damaged item for another
one in identical state as the original prior to damage or c) pay
monetary compensation in the amount of a brand new item's street price.

Lawyer at the consumer's organization suggested that I use written form
of communication so the offending firm will not later be able to bail
out of an agreement (if reached), and also because the firm is then
legally bound to answer you in 15 days or automatically face prosecution
and fine.

That's in theory, at least. So I have sent a polite letter to the
company, giving detailed description of all the damage that I noticed on
my lens, stating my opinion that it is pretty evident that the damage is
a consequence of their action on the lens, and expressing surprise and
discomfort that something like that happened in a company offering
proffesional photo equipment service, furthermore because they have
chosen not to inform me about the damage, but handed me the lens as if
nothing happened.

Richard wrote:

> I hope you have witnesses for the condition of the lens before you
> have send it in?

It happens I have a very good case here. As I told already, the reason
for taking the lens to the service was a suspected start of fungus
growth inside. I could not believe it first, since the lens is kept with
the others (which do not show any problems), and our climate isn't
exactly tropical. Therefore three people besides me examined very
carefully the lens interior prior to service. The last one was our
Department's lab technician, a professional photographer, and I went and
walked with the lens to the service company immediately after he has
seen it. The brutal damage now on the lens elements is not something one
could overlook, had it been there before.

Sam wrote:

> The fact that you picked it up, perhaps raises the issue that you
> were satisfied unless you complained when you picked the lens up.

This is a point; but because they hand out the "repaired" lens over the
counter in a very dark reception room, I just checked that I've got the
right lens back, and left the detailed examination for home. Partly also
because the stated policy of this company is that they accept complaints
for 60 days after the item is issued back. I had a look as soon as I
returned to my office, and I have immediately shown the - now
scandalously damaged - lens to our technician again. So unless someone
has the nerve to suggest that I opened and scratched the lens on the
street while walking from the company back to the University...

Apart from one groove on the front element, all the damage is inside the
lens. As I am obviously not a person to open the lens myself - why would
I then be spending money to have it opened and cleaned by someone else -
nobody else could damage the interior elements but the repair company.
Gary already testified about the former perfect condition of the lens
(thanks!).

Special thanks also to Richard for providing addresses of Tamron
distributors; hopefully I'll be able to check with them if the offending
firm comes out with some suspicious explanation or claim.

Sorry to bother you with this, but for the first two days I felt
somewhat like my leg was cut off - I feel better now.

Marko Vrabec
Kamnik, Slovenia