Re: [OM] Repair Service woes - please advise

Subject: Re: [OM] Repair Service woes - please advise
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 15:49:22 +0100
Marko Vrabec schrieb:

> I sent my beloved Tamron 180/2.5 LD IF lens to a local Camera Repair
> Service (supposedly a reputable company) to be cleaned - I suspected
> fungus was starting to develop on an internal lens element.

I hope you have witnesses for the condition of the lens before you have
send it in?

> I received the lens back today and - what a terrible shock - ....

Understandable...

If this had happened in Germany, I would demand my expenses back (repair
costs, shiping, handling) and an compensation for the damaged lens
(probably the price for the lens, because I doubt Tamron can repair such
an badly damaged, out of production lens). You might try to conntact the
Tamron representive of your country. Unfortunatly I have only the adress
of the Austrian and German distributor:

Gerhard Michtner GesmbH
Photo Optik Elektronik
Schmalzhofgasse 12
A-1061 Wien
Austria

Tel. (01) 597 67 41-0
FAX  (01) 597 67 46

gemig@xxxxxxxxx

Tamron Vertriebsgesellschaft mbH
Robert-Bosch-Straße 9
50769 Köln
Germany

Tel. 0221 / 97 03 25-0
FAX  0221 / 97 03 25-4

tamron.cologne@xxxxxxxxxxx

I wouldn´t accept any offers of the company to "repair" the damages,
they have already shown there incompetence.

> I am of course writing a complaint to the company, and I am also likely
> to contact the customer's protection bureau.

You should try to get legal advice.

> The bureau likely has not got much experience in photo gear

Show them the used price of such a lens.

> and I would
> like to present them your independent "second opinions", if neccessary.

It was an expensive lens, the "camera service" has destroyed (used or
not).

Regards

Richard