Re: [OM] RE: great find today! WAS Adorama purchase experience -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: great find today! WAS Adorama purchase experience -Reply
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 14:20:32 -0500
<< think the difference would be if I told a naive seller that their 180/2
was worth $20 but I'd pay them $30, I'd be cheating them.

I don't know. It's an interesting intellectual discussion.>>

Really, all your doing is acting as a broker. This involves risk, opportunity
cost, and most importantly parlaying your knowledge of OM equipment and it's
value. If someone has less knowledge and you "cheat" them by offering them a low
price then your just using your superior market savvy. Furthermore, you can
never offer less than the "fair market value" since your offer is part of the
market. I've always found it amusing when people whine about this. Conversely,
trying to get "whatever the market will bear" when selling is ridiculous since
whatever someone pays IS what the market will bear, and therefore any sale must
be "at the market". Unless you're in a position to make them an offer they can't
refuse. Is this unethical? No, this is free market capitalism. Well, some think
capitalism is unethical. They're free to organize their economies as they see
fit. Either you trust the market to set an equilibrium price or you don't. This
is why a PX625 battery can go for ten times what it did before they were banned.
Is it price gouging? Not to the camera owner who would be stuck with a doorstop
if he couldn't get a proper battery. And not to the shopkeep who has tied up
capital in inventory.