Re: [OM] RE: great find today! WAS Adorama purchase experience

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: great find today! WAS Adorama purchase experience
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 07:39:17 -0800
Regarding ethics in camera transactions:
how about just striving for win-win transactions?

Example: a camera shop owner I know laments that a certain frequent
shopper never wants to pay his prices AND never buys anything, despite
haggling of them. Then he shows me a used but mint Pentax outfit that
just came in. All the prices are right out of McBroom's, which would
leave lots of folks uninterested.  BUT, one item isn't in McBroom's, so
it's priced according to its nearest equals. I tell him, I'll pay your
price of $199. Here is the item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=266113098

I later ask if a lens hood was in the outfit. He says no, but wonders
what the lens is really worth. I tell him that I appraised it at $520.
Instead of feeling ripped off, he says: "Great, you'll get your profit
and I got mine."

If I had beat him down to $160 and not told him the value he would have
found out anyways. And I would have been much less welcomed in that
store.

OM content: just chage the 85mm f/1.8 SMC Pentax example to a 40mm f/2
Zuiko, to which McBrooms is way off.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV