Re: [OM] Question about reflections

Subject: Re: [OM] Question about reflections
From: Joey Richards <bigjoe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:24:52 -0500
Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Any ways of preventing/curing internal reflections?

The only things I can think of that would help would be
  * use multicoated optics (the whole point of these being to
     cut down on multiple reflections using the miracles of
     thin film interference)

  * don't put bright things in the field of view of your lens
     :-)

  * use only lenses made from solid chunks of glass, thereby
     eliminating completely the air-glass interfaces that are
     so pesky.  Alternatively, consider purchasing lenses that
     have been flooded with water to replace the air between
     the elements, as the index of refraction in water will be
     closer to that of the glass in the lenses and should help
     to cut down on reflection

I'm not sure how practical the last option really is.  :-)

I don't have a whole lot of experience fighting infernal reflections
in my lenses, but I can't think of any other methods for avoiding
the physical phenomenon off-hand.

joey