Re: [OM] Question about reflections

Subject: Re: [OM] Question about reflections
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:10:22 +0000
At 14:59 1/28/00 , Olafo wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a question about some nasty reflections I'm getting at times when
>doing night exposures.

<snip>

>Does anyone know what causes this (internal reflections maybe?), and more
>importantly, how to avoid this from happening?

I've also had this happen shooting a night scene through double-pane window
glass on the upper floor of a high-rise hotel.  Was able to sort mine out
to reflections within the double-paned glass window.  Recommend pulling any
filters off that you might be using.  If you must shoot through the window
pane of a high-rise, do it with the lens ring mashed up against the glass,
without hood or filters (exception: fisheyes and superwides that have an
objective extending beyond the lens ring).

When this first happened to me, a friend and I looked at the print and
painfully walked our way through a ray tracing sketch on a cross-section of
lens objective and window panes to sort out how it most likely happened.
The very dark sky and long exposures allow exeptionally low level
reflections of bright light sources between glass surfaces to show up on
the film.  During the day, they are too low level to show up.

-- John