[OM] Question about reflections

Subject: [OM] Question about reflections
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:59:36 +0100
Hi,

I have a question about some nasty reflections I'm getting at times when
doing night exposures.

Here's the situation:
-The main subject consists of "something" with bright white lights (I write
"something" as it happens with various different subjects, such as a bridge,
or boats that have lights along the sails).
-Interestingly enough, all shots were shot over a river (and even the same
river at that).
-All shots were long exposures, ranging from some 4 to 120 seconds.
-The problem is that the brightest parts of the composition somehow appear a
2nd time, "floating" in the sky, upside down, less bright than their
presence in the spot they should be. It looks a bit like "ghost images" (but
not ghosting as such!!!) of the same subjects as one is photographing.
-These "ghost images" are not always present on the exact same spot in the
sky (despite the camera having been supported by a tripod on the same
spot!).
-Lenses with which this has occurred so far are the 135/2.8, 50/1.8 and the
24/2.8.

Does anyone know what causes this (internal reflections maybe?), and more
importantly, how to avoid this from happening?

Cheers!
Olafo