RE: [OM] Flash

Subject: RE: [OM] Flash
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:41:36 -0600
At 10:19 PM 1/24/2000 -0500, Brian you wrote in part:
>If you're comparing Vivitar and Sunpak flash units, you should compare
>apples to apples.  The 4600 Vivitar compares to the Sunpak 433 or 422.
>Vivitar 283 is more like the Sunpak 383.

I have both the 4600 and Sunpak 433. Both are dedicated for Olympus, but of
course both work manually too if that is desired.  In this respect, I think
it is possible to put them up against the 283 for comparison.

Charlie's point, I take it, is that with the OM-1 and no TTL options, the
best manual flash for the best price is the way to go.  Plus, with many
accessories available for the 283, it is additionally very attractive.

The Sunpak makes it easy to adjust manual output so that if you want half a
full manual dump, or a quarter, it's cake.  I think this is also an
advantage of the 283 (or is it just on the 285?), and the 4600 has no
counterpart to this.

If I were purchasing for a mixed system of cameras (manual and TTL), the
Sunpak is my desert island choice, particularly with the zoom head adapter.
Unless the cost were much more than a 283, I'd still recommend it for a
manual-only system.  I guess I would say look at the accessories of the 283
system.  If you think you will use those accessories, that may clarify your
selection. If you might also opt for a flash with TTL capabilities, I'd say
run to the Sunpak.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA