RE: [OM] Flash

Subject: RE: [OM] Flash
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:19:33 -0500
If you're comparing Vivitar and Sunpak flash units, you should compare
apples to apples.  The 4600 Vivitar compares to the Sunpak 433 or 422.
Vivitar 283 is more like the Sunpak 383.
The Vivitar 3700, 4600, 5200 and 5600 all have tilt and swivel like the
Sunpak 422, 433 and 444 units.  Some advantage might lie with the Vivitars
in respect to the fact that heads are interchangeable in the 4600,5200 and
5600 systems.  Bare bulb/slave, standard head (like 283), zoom and power
zoom heads are possible.
Sunpak has TL-8 adapter to fit on any of the Sunpak units to accomplish the
same zoom, but no bare bulb or power zoom (dumb option in my opinion).
Vivitar also tends to have beefier contacts in comparison to Sunpak.
I have some of each unit from both companies, there are advantages to both.

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000 11:40:55 -0800, Charles Loeven wrote:
>Vivitar 283 is a standard among pro and ammeter alike.
>It is very reliable and inexpensive and it has many accessories available.

I have both the 283 and the Sunpack 433. The 433 gets more use by virtue of
a better interface, the option of TTL Auto, and swivel in addition to tilt.
Price was comparable.
BBB