Re: [OM] Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:53:14 +0100
Yo John,

on Sun, 23 Jan 2000 13:28:00 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi, again.  What's the best flash for OM-1 and/or OM-4?  I prefer
>something w/tilt.  Someone recommended a Sunpak recently, but I didn't

The best flash I ever used with my OMs is a Cullmann DC 36. With the SCA 321
adapter it is fully OM-dedicated. The 36 guide number gives it an edge over
the T32. Another advantage is its high profile placing the flash head far
away from the lens to prevent red eye. It has an integrated zoom reflector
(24 - 100 mm in 5 steps), vertically and horizontally swivelling, and a
subflash, and, besides TTL, offers 4 computer apertures when used on auto.
There is a switch that allows you to reduce the output to 1/4 on manual. It
also has external sensor capability, but to use that you need an extra
sensor cable.
IMHO, this flash beats the hell out of the T32. Alas, I think it's
discontinued (I got mine on German Ebay a few months ago for the equivalent
of about US $ 50.-, new in box, to replace my DC 32 which had been stolen
while I was on a motorcycle trip through Scotland in August, and which also
offers a part of these advantages, though not all), but if you can find one
you'd not only most likely save a few bucks as compared to a T32 but also
have a superior flash.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--