Re: [OM] Questions for the group

Subject: Re: [OM] Questions for the group
From: "Glen Lowry" <lowry@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:17:20 -0800
Hi George,

Sorry to mistake the original post.  If I had understood that we are talking
about the entire arsenals we have to draw from I'd have said some about
always travelling w/ different formats or the fact that I feel lost w/ out a
quiet little rangefinder somewhere close at hand--say in the trunk, under
the seat, in my briefcase, on the desk.

Because I have what some might see as an 'unhealthy propensity to collect
lenses--Zuikos, Tamrons, SMC, EF, Leitz, and a growing assortment of
englarging lenses (El-Nikkor, Schneider, Rodenstock)--I know something about
the need to "be prepared."  The point that I was trying to make, or that
Doris had made and I wanted to respond to, was that the more lenses I have
and and the more that I get a chance to use the more selective I become.
Granted I will take various longer lenses along out of necessity or in
anticipation of a particular type of shoot or environment; however, the
photography that pleases me the most is tending more and more to involve
very basic tools.

The 50/1.2 is for me a perfect lens--speed, size, sharpness and an extremely
narrow depth of field.  I have tried to use zooms--35-70, 35-80, 35-105--to
supplement it and because I am hand holding everything (yes I have tripods
and a monopod) I find that cannot abide by the slow speeds, even 2.8. More
often than not the hardest decision I have to make is about film
(speed/format/aspect), not about what lenses to bring.

Another (rather obvious) lesson that I've learned is that photos tend to
improve as the photographer gets closer to the subject.  Shooting
(portraits) at normal or wide angles demands higher levels of intimacy and
interaction and often allows for more intricate composition, which I find
challenging and liberating,   When one is within a few feet of the subject
and incident meter tends to work very well and it saves findling around with
those little buttons on top of the 0M4 (which does indeed have a very good
reflective meter).

Cheers,
Glen