Re: [OM] Questions for the group

Subject: Re: [OM] Questions for the group
From: "C.H.Ling" <pling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 23:31:44 +0800
The 24/2 sample I got is not that bad, I have tested the Zuiko wide lenses I
own,
following is my subjective comments (all tests are for distance objects):

-Distortion: the 24/2 has normal barrel distortion, slightly higher than the
35/2 and
28/2 but not too much. I would say it is around 1-1.5%, but distortion
concentrated
on center so a bit more noticeable (not evenly spread on the whole frame).

-Resolution: seems has higher field curvature, at wide open with uneven
sharpness
across the frame, overall only a little bit poorer than the 35/2 (the 28/2 I
had was
poorer in resolution at all apertures but may be it was only a bad sample so I
don't
want to put it to compare). When stop down to F4 both 24 and 35 are quite sharp
but
not as good as the 21/2.

- Light fall off: at wide open it is only a little bit poorer than 35/2 so it
is not
bad considering it is wider and its performance is sure much better than 18/3.5.

- Flare and ghost resistance is very good, especially ghosting, I can't
remember I
got an image that has ghosting with that lens, similar to 35/2? While I found
the
wide Zuiko which most subject to ghosting is the 18/3.5.

The 24/2 was my most favorable "standard" lens but now I carry the 21/2 more. I
once had a 9+ 24/2.8 MC, besides cooler color balance, I didn't found big
differnt
between these two lenses, but since I use only matte screen for focusing, a
faster
lens here makes bit different.

C.H.Ling