RE: [OM] Questions for the group

Subject: RE: [OM] Questions for the group
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:18:10 -0800
Ron S. writes:

<< Gary: I'm certainly not a technohead but I'm wondering what your
objection
is to the 24 F2? >>

1. Pronounced waveform distortion. This lens looks like it has an
aspherical element in it.  One can often detect an aspherical lens by
straight lines being rendered as waves. I'll accept waveforming in a
zoom, but in a prime?? I blindly SQF graded the results from this lens.
I THOUGHT I was looking at the results of an IS-3 at 35mm . . .

2. I think the wide open and one stop down performance, coupled with
strong light fall-off ("my "vignetting") makes this a dicey choice for
available light photography.

3. Cost. For what you get in performance, it sure seems overpriced.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV