Re: [OM] EBAY SCAMS

Subject: Re: [OM] EBAY SCAMS
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 01:47:14 -0500
Phillip Franklin wrote:

> I do not know the overwhelming majority of the merchants on eBay.  Sure
> some are respectable camera dealers but there is opportunity for much abuse
> here.
> . . . .some of the list members have uncovered some fraudulent ratings for
> the sellers.

Read the feedback on your seller.  This business with "2gabe" is the
only time I can remember such blatant fraud noted on this list.  It was
uncovered easily because of the transparent feedback system built into
eBay.
> What I have found out. . . .is eBay's lame attitude towards enforcing their
> policies.

True enough.  It's also impossible to put an unethical store out of
business, based on my strolls around Manhattan.  It took Pop Photo 30
years to get Cambridge out of their "check rated" advertisers section.
And, unlike an eBay seller, they don't have customer's rants posted in
their window.

> I as many others who follow e-commerce have heard of many problems and abuses
> with auctions
> over the Net.

I've seen lots of air disasters on TV and that doesn't keep me from
flying.  Use your head: Look at the seller's feedback, ask him/her a few
questions.  If they're evasive or wishy-washy, stay away.  If they seem
friendly and honest, they probably are.

> Certainly there is no reason to think that it is so rare that the auction
> format is necessary to establish market price for these items.

Internet auctions _are_ the market, regardless of rarity.

Morgan Sparks